We’ve all been there.
You are working at a retail or wholesale store. It’s near the end of your shift, and the boss just asked you to move a box of heavy merchandise from one section of the floor to the other. As you struggle to handle the increasing weight of the box from section to section you don’t see the computer chords and spilt coffee and you trip and fall.
Now, your near-perfect day has quickly diminished because of a sore wrist, bum knee, or head injury.
This type of fall happens more than you think. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) recently wrote an article regarding the prevention of slips, trips, and falls in wholesale and retail trade establishments.
Employees in these establishments suffer high rates of slip, trip and fall injuries due to vision obstructions, poor lighting, and the type of walking surfaces.
To prevent slip and fall injuries in the future, NIOSH explains how the workplace can be designed to minimize slips, trips and falls.
Analysis of the problem: A few contributing factors to slips, trips and falls.
- spills – coffee, spills, beverages or food
- ice, snow, or rain
- improper footwear
- low coefficient of friction
- fatigue and stress
- physical obstructions – computer cables in disrepair
- Walking surfaces that are in disrepair or changes in floor height etc.
These are all HUGE factors that may cause slips or falls in the workplace.
- clean up the mess – clean up spills and messes
- wear proper footwear
- improve the lighting in the area where you work
- take a break when tired
- buy a cable protector
- mount non slip Handi-Treads or HandiTreads Nosings by Handi-Ramp. These non-slip treads are designed to be utilized in areas that are prone to liquids, ice, snow and rain. They also serve as a indication (“safety yellow”) for changes in floor height as well as areas where there are physical obstructions.
To purchase these cable protectors and non slip treads, or to inquire about how they can help you, please contact Handi-Ramp in Libertyville, IL at (800) 876-7267 (RAMP) or visit https://www.handiramp.com/stairtreads/.